Remember when my plans for the dining room looked something like this?
Well, not surprisingly she ended up looking nothing like that mood board. The first and largest change, was of course, the built-in. Stripping and sanding the paint didn't go as planned, so we had to course-correct and ended up painting it a warm charcoal color. You can read all about that process here.
(Our light fixture is on sale now!)
As far as the curtains go, I originally wanted these dark luxe, velvet curtains, and the more I read about them, the more I realized they just wouldn't be practical in a dining room. They're not super easy to clean and they come with a hefty price tag, so instead I opted for some inexpensive white curtains from Ikea, that can be bleached or oxy-cleaned to my hearts content. Maybe someday we will go dark, but for now I adore how airy and calm this room is.
The final change was the artwork. Once I painted the built in, I knew I needed to bring in some color and have a single piece of artwork tie the space together. In my mind, three things make a space 1: Artwork 2: Greenery 3: Soft finishes (rugs, curtains, etc..), and man does this Alice print make this space. All these prints are from Juniper Print Shop.
I used to stress about things not going according to plan, but over the years I've learned to go with the flow. Don't be afraid to let a space evolve as you go along! It could turn out more beautiful than you had envisioned!
And just for good measure, lets check out a before and after: